tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Tomcat Threads handling user Requests problem
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:34:08 GMT
Can you believe that, IE only allows 2 files downloaded at the same time,
and then you have to dig into the registry.... get OPERA ;)
Now that I advertised my favorite browser....
I think its working and I have yet another theory ;)
Modern browsers dont drop the connection, because establishing a connection
is very expensive.... so effectively they make a pipe to the server, get the
page, then suck down the images, and all the rest of it thru the "same"
pipe... assuming that stuff is all on the same server.
Think they call that stuff KEEP ALIVES, in general, its faster.
So in fact I think that software is being very smart... its making one pipe
for the browser and all the images and stuff.... and another pipe for the
XMLHttpRequest, regardless of how many calls the script makes.... its
probably faster than if a connection was made for everything in the web page
and every script call.... and when you have 200 people using that page at
the same time, I think you going to be very happy its only 2 and not 100
connections per page.
Ajax design has to be done smartly.... you have to have something that keeps
the users attention while you populate a table are whatever.... otherwise
they will get the urge to click again.

So yes try that.... increase the connections on IE....
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/04/11/407189.aspx  but I have a
feeling it wont change.
Or.... get Opera, I think it defaults to 8 connections to one server, and 20
max..... dont think it will change, but you just going to be happier anyway
;)