tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: PORTLETS On Tomcat...
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:52:48 GMT
Ok I still have no idea how to use portlets... but found an easy way to get
going on TC

Download OpenPortal Deployer
https://portlet-container.dev.java.net/

Install the OpenPortal project using these instructions on TC
https://portlet-container.dev.java.net/public/TomcatInstallation.html

In Netbeans 5.5.1 or better Tools->Update->Center (Netbeans Beta)
Do not install the Sun System Portal server..... thats the mistake I made
Just install Generic Portlets...

Make a default Portlet project..... and compile it.

Start Tomcat.... go to http://localhost:8080/portletdriver/dt
Click on the Admin Tab.... Browse for your portlet War in DIST folder of
project you made.
Deploy it....

Create some more windows at bottom of page..... switch to portlet tab
You will see your portlets....

Hopefully that answers questions about developing in Netbeans for Tomcat
portlets.... it definitely works.

BUT.... if you make portlets on an application server... like Spring or
Glassfish.... you going to have problems trying to moving back to a servlet
container.

Whether you should use portals?..... thats 4 u 2 decide.

Done a little more research on portlets.... but still havnt got the things
running on my dev environment

If you wondering what a portlet is.... here are two very interesting flash
video's
http://portalpack.netbeans.org/files/documents/212/1236/plugindemo_deployment_management.htm
https://portlet-container.dev.java.net/screencast/pc_sdk/PC_SDK.html

It seems the portlet container can be installed on Tomcat... however the
installation on Netbeans seems GlassFish orientated.
https://portlet-container.dev.java.net/public/TomcatInstallation.html

Now the thing about that is that one is a servlet container the other a
application container.... so (and this is where I wish I had got the things
running) I think its very easy for a Netbeans user to use EJB's without even
realizing it.... and thats why I think we starting to see questions like...
it gave me an EAR file, how do I use that on tomcat.

Isnt the tooling in those video's amazing.... even if you dont like the
concept of portlets.... awesome tools these developers are putting together.