tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Using auto-configure with Tomcat 6.0
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:02:14 GMT

Bill, let me just say that your little auto module helped me tremendously
when I first looked at JK, for a newbie, having that stuff generated becomes
a great tutorial in itself, so its a damn shame it will probably fall away.
I had a look at the code, and I see there are other maintainers, have they
also moved on?

Its a great tool.

I see BaseJkConfig is the base class, and some functions are overridden in
Apache Config, IIS Config, and NS Config.... I have zero interest in IIS and
NS, but Apache -> TC is pure magic...

The other thing is I see you have used a LifecycleListener to kick off the
whole auto config thing. I cant argue with the philosophy, assuming a person
remembers that they must restart TC, but I'm thinking why buck the trend,
take the tool out of TC completely, and have it as a pure addon, I'm
thinking a configuration servlet that one can use to generate this stuff,
and maybe more.

I'm also wondering how you keep up to date with the protocols, and formats,
for example just where do you look to find out the httpd 2.2.x is different.
If you show me how to plug in to this dev system and assuming thats not a
mission in itself, then I dont think it will be too much of a problem to
plug in to the code.
I'm thinking, if thats OK, well I dont mind doing it....