tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sebastian Kruk <sebastian.k...@deri.org>
Subject Re: URI handling bug in Tomcat 6.0.13?
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:14:17 GMT
Thanks,

so if I got it right - due to some security reasons:

"Directory traversal vulnerability in Apache HTTP Server and Tomcat
5.x before 5.5.22 and 6.x before 6.0.10, when using certain proxy
modules (mod_proxy, mod_rewrite, mod_jk), allows remote attackers to
read arbitrary files via a .. (dot dot) sequence with combinations of
(1) "/" (slash), (2) "\" (backslash), and (3) URL-encoded backslash (%
5C) characters in the URL, which are valid separators in Tomcat but
not in Apache."

... I cannot use sequence of .. (dot dot), /, \ and %5C

Yes, but, it is strange since  I do have neither (dot dot) nor %5C
nor \  [we cannot ban / completely, right?],
Tomcat seems to be reacting strange on %2F, which have to be
URLEncoded, since this is a URI I am passing to an internal procedure,
  if this URI is not URL encoded - than my regexp defined REST
services endpoints will freak out and consider only all they will see
till / as a parameter.

As I said before - it seems that Tomcat is sensitive to a %2F in my
URI, which is not on the list above.

http://localhost:8080/jeromedl/mbb/filter/marcont:hasDomain/http%3A%2F
%2Fdmoz.org%2FTop

Can you, please, explain what is wrong with this URI? I got a feeling
that although the CVE-2007-0450 might be important, it has been
implemented in wrong way?

Thanks,

Sebastian