tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Len Popp" <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib or WEB-INF/lib
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:43:31 GMT
Using a single copy would save memory, but not a very large amount
compared to the size of 15 typical webapps. More significant are the
convenience factors:

Using a single shared copy of the lib is good if the webapps are all
related and you need to make sure they're all using the same version
of the shared lib. Multiple copies can get out of sync.

Using separate copies is good if the webapps are independent, and
you're worried about an update to the shared lib causing compatibility
problems with the other 14 apps. Also, if each webapp has its own
copy, the lib is part of each app's .war; but a shared copy requires a
separate installation step.
--
Len