tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Diego Rodríguez Martín <drodrig...@altiria.com>
Subject Tomcat 6 classloader leak in Commons Pool
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:50:17 GMT
Hi,

    I have a webapp that is running ok under tomcat 5.5. I have upgrade
to Tomcat 6 and I have found a big memory leak because WebAppClassLoader
gets never garbage collected.

    I have used a profiler and have found that the object that is
stopping the garbage collector could be EVICTION_TIMER of
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool. I have googled it
and I have found the following bug in commons pool

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-97?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12484747

It affects version 1.3 of commons pool. In tomcat 6, commons pool is
embbeded in /tomcat-dbcp.jar/, and the docs don't say with version of
commons is inside.

Could tomcat be running with this bug?
Since pool is embedded, is there a simple workaround to get rid of it
downgrading commons pool version to use the same as tomcat 5.5?

    Thanks

Diego Rodríguez Martín (drodriguez@altiria.com)
ALTIRIA TIC - Servicios SMS - Desarrollo Web
Tel. +34 913311198 - Fax +34 913310087 - Móvil +34 610299750
www.altiria.com