tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: jsp includes not compiling
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 02:10:51 GMT
The visibility of scriptlet objects is not well defined in the jsp spec
-- at least as far as I can tell.  Someone will immediately correct me
if I'm wrong :-).

It'd probably be best to place code for retrieving the object closer to
where it's used, preferably in the same scriptlet block.  If this login
object is designed as a valid java bean, you could also access it using
the jsp:useBean and related tags.  Those tags can search pageContext,
request, session, and application scopes for attributes.

--David

Mike Peremsky wrote:
> Hmm,
>
>   I went back to look. That is the syntax I use with weblogic. If I remove the <%
%> from the inc file Tomcat loads the files properly. But then I cannot use logic in the
inc file (e.g.

>   if (obj != null) {
>   }
>
> Mike Peremsky <mperemsky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Oops. I missed that. Thx
>
> David Smith wrote: You are already in a pair when you do GlobalConst.SO_LOGIN_OBJ %>.
Why?

> Seems to me this would be a better expression:
>
> LoginObject loginobj = (LoginObject)session.getAttribute(
> GlobalConst.SO_LOGIN_OBJ )
> %>
>
> --David
>
> Mike Peremsky wrote:
>
>> I have used jsp includes with weblogic with no problems, I am using the same format
of the code with Tomcat but am having issues.

>> I include the jsp as follows:
>>

>> The code in the inc file is:
>>

>>> LoginObject loginobj = (LoginObject)session.getAttribute("");
>>>
>> %>
>>

>> The error I am getting is the following:
>>
>> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:
>> An error occurred at line: 5 in the jsp file: /include/JspVariables.inc
>> String literal is not properly closed by a double-quote
>> 2:
>> 3:
>> 4: > 5: LoginObject loginobj = (LoginObject)session.getAttribute("");
>> 6: %>
>>
>> I also get other strange errors on other inc files, but am not yet sure if it is
related to the fact that this variable is not being declared.