tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Cookie Rookie - cannot delete session cookie
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:58:54 GMT
Most likely you are using a JSP and unless you have page session='false'
- a session (and new cookie of the same name) will be created on the
next request.

-Tim

Mike Peremsky wrote:
> Yes, but why is it not being deleted when I get the cookie (request.getCookies()), then
reset the duration to 0 (cookie.setMaxAge(0)) and re-add it to the response (response.addCookie(cookie))

> Tim Funk <funkman@joedog.org> wrote:   There is nothing in the servelt api to explicitly
delete the session cookie.

> -Tim
>
> Mike Peremsky wrote:
>> I am pretty new to cookies and am having an issue. I create a cookie in my servlet
and write it to the response to last the lifetime of the session (duration = -1). When the
user clicks the logout button I find the cookie, reset the duration to 0 then re-add the cookie
to the response. But when I look at the browser cookies the cookie is still there and is listed
as a cookie lasting the lifetime of the session. From what I read in the API there is nothing
to directly remove a cookie from a session, I can only write it with a duration of 0. So,
why is the cookie still in the session? How can I get rid of it?