tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Pat <cpa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat temp directory
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:54:22 GMT
Hi David
Thanks for further engaging this with me.
Yes, I am creating the file in an Action, dropping it in the tmpdir and reading it with a
jsp that calls a servlet that reads the parameters and displays.

What I find odd is everything works perfectly when executed from localhost:8080...  However
fails when accessed from a domain setup to pass *.do, *.jsp through modjk to TC.

I know for a fact, from the timestamp and opening the file that Action is creating the file
correctly, the servlet is just not finding it...when accessed from a domain/modjk.  But again
it works, inscrutably, perfectly when accessed from localhost on the same server.  I can even
simultaneously switch between it succeeding on localhost and failing on domain multiple times
with the same running instance of TC.

Or is there a better way to create a tmpdir  and random file under the webapp.  I am loathe
to do that as I want to keep it possible for the admin to just delete the files in the root
\temp or make it a task.  I dont want to get access into the webapp.

David Smith <dns4@cornell.edu> wrote: In the code below, let's just ignore the logic
for the string 'tempdir'
... looks like noise to me as it isn't used in the creation of a file.

The call to create the temp file looks good and should store it in the
path specified by java.io.tmpdir.  You can write out the system property
to see where your files are going ... by default I think it's usually
the system temp.  My install of tomcat 5.5 as a service explicitly set's
it to the temp directory within the tomcat folder.  You can look for it
in your .bat files by looking for -Djava.io.tmpdir=

Could you expand on this image tag generation?  Looks like you are
attempting to generate a temp image in a jsp and keep it long enough to
return it via servlet.  Those are two separate requests (page and image)
and it may already be gone by the time the client requests the image
itself if that's the case.

--David

Chris Pat wrote:

>Hi
>Further
>I see in catalina.bat where it is setup and all the defaults are unchanged.  This still
does not explain why it is NOT putting the files in \temp and rather in just the root dir
of the TC installation.  I could explicitly force it, however that doesnt seem right.

>Chris Pat  wrote: Hi Martin, David
>Thanks.
>Where/syntax to set the tmpdir?
>Below is the syntax I use and when run from local host it puts the files in the "root"
tomcat directory, at the same level as the all the subdirectories.  Even outside the webapp
directory.  However it is accessible.

>When I switch to accessing from a domain with modjk, TC cant find the file.  The very
same code that calls a servlet to populate a html img tag is blank, but the rest of the page
renders correctly.

>I also found something claiming that TC configures its own tmp directory per webapp.
Is that from the proper setting of CATALINA_TMPDIR in the server.xml?  with what syntax?
tia.