tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sumit Gaikaiwari" <s.gaikaiw...@nihilent.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Server CPU utilization goes upto 400%
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 03:17:31 GMT

There is an application deployed that refreshes after every 30 seconds.
After every 30 seconds, it requeries database and fetches the data. This
was a design requirement for this application. Generally large numbers
of sessions of this application are running (450-500).

Regards,
Sumit Gaikaiwari

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Prasetya [mailto:andre.prasetya@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Server CPU utilization goes upto 400%

i think its more to application problem instead of tomcat problem. Is
there
any application hosted inside tomcat that get infinite loop or use a
kind of
loop checking something that utilize the thread fully ? try solving that
with the application developer

On 6/13/07, Sumit Gaikaiwari <s.gaikaiwari@nihilent.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> We are using tomcat 5.0.25 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux server. There
two
> applications in webapps. We are facing an issue from around 3-4 months
> where the CPU utilization by java process (tomcat) goes quite high:
> around 400% in every 4-5 days. The application gets very slow and
tomcat
> needs to be restarted for normal operation. The output of top command
is
> as below-
>

> [root@v3portal2 jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25]# top
>
> Tasks:  78 total,   1 running,  77 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>
> Cpu(s): 25.1% us,  0.1% sy,  0.0% ni, 74.5% id,  0.2% wa,  0.0% hi,
> 0.0% si
>
> Mem:   4086472k total,  2487676k used,  1598796k free,   217464k
buffers

> Swap:  6094824k total,        0k used,  6094824k free,  1811576k
cached

>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>
> 1038 root      16   0  545m 244m  61m S  101  6.1   1156:22 java
>
>     1 root      16   0  2556  552  472 S    0  0.0   0:01.17 init
>
>     2 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.31
migration/0

> Here is the status of active threads-
>
> Thread Status-
>

> [root@v3portal2 jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25]# ps -Le -o
> pid,user,s,lwp,pcpu,args | awk '$3 != "S" { print }'
>
> 1038 root     R  1093 19.8 /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_12/bin/java -Xmx256m
> -Xms128m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.awt.font.advancecache=off
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/common/endorsed
> -classpath

/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_12/lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/

bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25/bin/commons-logging-a

*-

--
-Andre-

People see things the way they are and say "why ?" I see things that
never
were and say "Why not ?"

[...]

*** "