tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Windows or Linux as Tomcat server?
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:31:52 GMT
The memory issue is something that will probably occur on either OS... if
you have the source code of the web-apps tell the programmer to stick them
back into the dev environment and profile them.
Its very unlikely that its tomcat, its probably a badly written web-app.
Alternately get something like Jmeter and whack each webapp, and try see
which one is eating memory.
Some links to help
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/software/archives/tracking-java-performance-for-free-10037
And then on windows... you can also just watch the handles in the task
manager.

If there is a linux expert around, use linux just because it doesnt have all
the gui, its unlikely that someone will load games on it, and its rock solid
once setup.
But if you dont know linux, have no idea what distribution to use, Debian,
Fedora, Gentoo.... etc etc.... and this thing needs to be done inside a
month, forget it, you probably wont know how to find Tomcat, never mind use
it.... its a big learning curve. Rather start learning linux, for your next
project, and learn how to interface it with windows, so your client can at
least read the log table.

Good Luck