tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Polites" <jason.poli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat hprof empty file
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 02:44:44 GMT
I think I "may" have found the cause of the problem with HPROF.  A
CTRL+BREAK (on win32) is what triggers the dump of the hprof data to a text
file, but when running Tomcat as a win32 service it automatically sets the
-Xrs JVM option which causes the JVM to ignore these signals from the OS
(this is required to prevent Tomcat from dying when the console user logs
off.. which triggers a CTRL+C from Windows).

That, plus this obscure
reference<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2634/6n4tl5koa?a=view>which
states:

"Do not use the -Xrs flag."

But does not really explain why.

So if I assume the hprof data is not being dumped because of the -Xrs
command, then I need to run Tomcat without this.  Of course this creates a
serious problem for me as I need it to run for a while so I get accurate
telemetry, and of course I can't log off the console otherwise the process
will die, but I am using remote desktop which will automatically log me off
after a timeout.

Might try vnc

Anyone got any other bright ideas?