tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tomi N/A" <hef...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Urgent: PermGen memory leak in a NetBeans developed tomcat application
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 15:41:31 GMT
2007/5/16, Paulo Alvim <alvim@powerlogic.com.br>:
> Hi Tomi,
>
> We've this classic problem (using Tomcat 5.x) with PermGen but in our case
> the leak occurs after a hot redeploy of any application.
>
> After each restart (our typical WAR has 30MB and 150 JSPs), jConsole shows
> about 4MB of PermGen increased that's never collected.
>
> Our customers have to increase the max PermGen size and monitoring - after
> 20 or 30 hot deploys, restart the server. It's not a big problem but we're
> also interested in solving this issue to get real 24 x 7 with Tomcat.
>
> Please let us know if you have the same situation...

I built tapestry applications with very similar behavior.
What I'm experiencing today is a bit different: simply using the
application is draining available PermGen memory: a much more acute
problem.
I'll publish my findings, but as it is, I have a really small
application which is really important and really under deadlines so
I'm inclined to rewrite it on tapestry instead of JSF and deploy it on
the server like that.
...looking back at what I've just written, I can't believe that this
is the state of the art technology in 2007. :-\

Cheers,
t.n.a.