tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <>
Subject [OT] Re: Java on Multi/Dual Core
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 09:12:51 GMT
On 23/05/2007, at 11:08 AM, Kurt Spescha wrote:
> I apologize for this question, maybe the wrong place to put it to.
> But someone who is using Tomcat soon or later will be confronted
> with the performance problem with java and multi/dual core
> machines. Multi/dual core is trendy, customers want to have it. But
> Java runs slower on these machine, what will make them angry.

If you have a single threaded application, some of the old single
core machines may be quicker than a new multi-core machine.

You must have a pretty strange version of tomcat to run 'single'

Compiling is a different matter, as it seems Sun's JVM (1.4, 1.5)
only uses one core - JRocket is quicker there...

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message