tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Per Johnsson" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat Memory Usage
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 10:14:07 GMT

If you get OutOfMemory Errors and running java 1.6 (maybe later versions
of java 1.5) you can make the vm to save a memory dump which you could
load in ie. YourKit java profiler. And After a crach you could analyse
the memroy in your applications.

I did that resently and it works like a charm.

This is the parameters I used:

You could also look in the gc_log, sometimes you could see what's
released and what needs correcting when jvm is doing a full gc.

Hope it helps.

(If you don't run java6 I can recommend it, faster and better :-)

/Regards Per Jonsson

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerome Benezech []
Sent: den 14 maj 2007 11:21
Subject: Tomcat Memory Usage

Hi all,

I run a cocoon webapp which is hosted on a shared Linux environnement
and runs under tomcat 5.5.9.
There are about 7 applications running under that tomcat instance (2
cocoon, at least 1 jsp, don't know for the others).
My host provider complains that he tomcat uses a lot of memory and that
he needs to restart it every 4 hours to release the memory.
Tomcat runs as a daemon (started using jsvc) and with the following

jsvc.exec -user tomcat -cp ./bootstrap.jar
-java.awt.headless=true -Xmx500000000
-XX:MaxPermSize=300m -debug -outfile
../logs/catalina.out -errfile ../logs/catalina.err -verbose

I'm really not sure where to start looking: memory leak due to bad
programming in the webapp or bad tomcat configuration leading to memory
I also noticed there are quiet a few links in google pointing to
problems with Tomcat not releasing memory (objets not getting
garbage-collected), although they are mostly related to Tomcat 4.x. What
is the situation on with Tomcat 5.5.9 ?

I'm looking for help on what to look for, what configuration parameters
should be used in production environnement, how can I pinpoint this
memory problem ?

Jerome Benezech

To start a new topic, e-mail: To unsubscribe,
For additional commands, e-mail:

This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
confidential.  It is for the intended addressee(s) only.
The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail, or any information it contains,
is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from
your computer.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: