tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dean" <dwagst...@nctv.com>
Subject RE: 404 message when trying to test a servlet
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 16:23:20 GMT
Thanks for the info.  However, I am new to tomcat and servlets and as such
am still somewhat unclear as to the resolution to this problem.  Can you
clarify.  What exactly is servlet - mapping?

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Bill Barker
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:06 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: 404 message when trying to test a servlet

"Dean" <dwagstaff@nctv.com> wrote in message
news:9B.C0.08653.55DC8564@mxo5.broadbandsupport.net...
> Greetings,
>

> I suspect the class file may be in the wrong directory.  I get the message
> /basic-servlet/servlet/CurrencyConverter  , which is confusing in that the
> class file is in the following directory C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\basic-servlet\WEB-INF\classes.  The html
> page
> is being found ok but when I do a submit and it tries to bring up the
> servlet I get the above.

The invoker servlet has been disabled in the default config for ages
(because it is evil :).  You can enable it at your own risk in conf/web.xml,

but that isn't recommended.  Use an explicit servlet-mapping instead.

Having classes in the default package will prevent you from upgrading later
on.  You really should put your class in a package.