tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Inner Gold Mine
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 15:48:38 GMT
Good Morning-

I *think* what you're speaking of is a comprehensive Adaptive Security
Algorithm solution.
A HW/DW solution from Cisco (Pix) is illustrated here
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_61/config/overvw.htm
More specifically RIPv2 implementations with coverage of text MD5 auth and
keyed MD5 auth
Is this the scenario you envision implementing?

M--

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny Kewl" <john@kewlstuff.co.za>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:27 AM
Subject: Tomcat Inner Gold Mine

Been wondering about something...

Often in a tomcat application I use separate XML files for configuration.
I normally end up using a lite weight sax parser that I wrote especially for
this, but every time I
do this... I think to myself... I'm just doing what has already been done in
tomcat.

I dont imagine that these internal libs are exposed in a normal tomcat
application, unless i'm missing something, but I was wondering if its not
possible to get at the libraries almost as its done in embedded tomcat, so
one can reduce the overhead of duplicate functionality.

For example if one went for a similar parameter structure in a separate xml
file... its in not possible to get at that using a tomcat lib?

If so I'd imagine there is a whole range of tricks one could use...
In theory a user should never have to go find a base64 lib, or an MD5 lib
etc etc... nor anything else that Tomcat has to use????

I think there is a lot of very standard stuff that tomcat could expose
through an API... if it has an Xerces lib, why make a user get another one?

For example is it possible to do somelike an XSLT transform without any
external libs...
It feels like I'm sitting on a gold mine... but I'm still prospecting... if
u know wot I mean...

Seems like everyone is missing it.... remember reading some article where
the guy was saying that one can get
at the undocumented sun.misc.BASE64 Decoder which he spent hours
discovering...and this was for a tomcat application...
seems kinda stupid when Tomcat must have that class already??

So as the actual developers of Tomcat... if you make a web-app... do you
download duplicate infrastructure... or do you just dig into a
class when you know its there already?

Johnny Kewl
  eMail: John<No Spam>kewlstuff.co.za  -- replace <No Spam> with @ --
  Cell: +027-72- 473-9331