tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Abdul Qayyum" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat URL redirect ?
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 05:25:10 GMT
Hi Christopher Schultz,

I understand that during a webapp reload, Tomcat will issue a 503 response.
The issue is that, I have named my war file as ROOT.war, so that, when I
access my tomcat default page using http://localhost:8080/ i get my
application's index page. This is how our out side server's tomcat is

> You might be able to catch this at the Tomcat level and display
> a certain "please wait" page.

I catch this 503 page from my tomcat/conf/web.xml file and place my
503.htmlin ROOT folder itself. Why, because tomcat looks for the
resources in this
folder. below is the snippet I used in my
tomcat/conf/web.xml file.

When I reload my application, that is ROOT.war form  manager/html and at the
same time access the application in a different browser, tomcat gives blank

Since ROOT it self is reloading, even though it has the files tomcat is not
fetching them.
If I remove the "/" from the <location> tab  (so that I can specify a
different location) tomcat is not openning  my application . It returns default
404 page for any URL I type.

 >I do this using the ErrorDocument directive
>available through Apache httpd.

There is no apache web server for our application. We only use tomcat 5.5.12.

I only want to know if using Apache is the only option for me.
Please tell me if There is any solution for this with in Tomcat.

Thanks and regards:
A. Quayum Sagri