tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Abdul Qayyum" <qayy...@gmail.com>
Subject displaying customized error page in tomcat 5.5.12
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 10:26:44 GMT
Hi all,
 I found that while we are updating our application, the application is not
known to tomcat, untill it is completed. So tomcat sends 503
page as resource not found. I want to know is virtual hosting is the right
way to deal with this issue.? Or can this be done using customised error
pages.

Is it possible to customise the 503 / 404 page, so that, for any resource
not found issue, tomcat displays the customised page. That is if the web
application is not presents in tomcats web apps directory, tomcat should
display this customised error page.

 I found that usually custom error pages are written for a specific web
application. If some error occurs in  that web application, the error page
is displayed using that web applications web.xml.

I want to extend it to whole tomcat.
I have added the following code in tomcat5.5.12/conf/web.xml after
welcome file list tab

<error-page>
        <error-code>404</error-code>
        <location>/error404.html</location>
</error-page>

Now when I try for a resource that is not available in my tomcat, the
result is a blank page instead of 404/- default page or my customised
error404.html. That means the code worked fine but the error404.html is not
found at the right place. I have tried to paste the simple html file that
many different folders like in tomcat home itself, then in webapps, server,
server/webapps/, server/webapps/manager, etc. But the it always returns
blank page.

 For simplicity I have used single line to display the error page. the
code in error404.html is as follows:
<title> 404 resource not found </title>

        This is 404 error page

 Can any one please tell where am I going wrong.