tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Raghupathy, Gurumoorthy" <Gurumoorthy.Raghupa...@nielsen.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic URIs Using one Context
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 08:53:41 GMT
You can use
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html and
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html  ( User Web App
) in conjunction with a mod_rewrite and proxy ...... Not simple but
achievable .... :)

Regards
Guru

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
Sent: 16 May 2007 08:43
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Dynamic URIs Using one Context

Interesting question....  this is wot I would do.... try!
The basic thing I would use Apache Httpd for it to.... direct via
Virtual
hosting and the worker file... domain names to various tomcat instances.
eg you can have 2 tomcat instances on a machine and tomcat spread across

many machines.

So domain names become things like Games.ServiceProvider.Net
Accounts.ServiceProvider.Net   Webs.ServiceProvider.Net
Free.ServiceProvider.Net

..... Context paths as far as I am concerned dont work... nor do I (you)

really want them....
It works on the web-app name and the uri mapping in web.xml.... or the
web-app name and the path to the jsp..... forget about context paths.
It makes more sense outside of context paths, anyway...

So if a client writes an app    the uri will be
AssignedMachine/WebAppName/servletname
AssignedMachine/WebAppName/pathto.Jsp

etc...

In theory you can mess with the relative URI.... but in practice you
cant...
For example if you just change the webappname of the WAR... you will see

that uri also changes... and tomcat does the right thing with the
context
paths (automatically!).
If you change the path to a jsp.... it will change the uri.
If you change the servlet mapping in web.xml you can put the servlet
anywhere..... eg
AssignedMachine/WebAppName/Some/more/stuff/in/servlet/mapping
etc etc....

BUT..... if you mess with this and even if you wanted to and could
override
the context paths..... it will probably break the web-app 8 out of 10
times
because programmers often hardcode paths inside their apps.... or have
used
relative contexts that they expect to be there.

Point is.... if you forget about the users name in the uri.... life gets

easy... you will be dropping web-apps into a tomcat web-app... and going
for
a coffee break.
Sometimes 2 users will have the same web app name.... you dont change
it..... thats why you got multiple tomcat instances. Funstuff1.SP.net
etc.
Sometimes the user will want the root of the domain.... and his own
domain
name.... that requires a restart of the system.... because you going to
use
apache to map that 2  the TomcatsInstancesWithOwnDomainNames.... and
each
tomcat will Map via the hosts section to that users own webapp
location....
ie if a user wants a domain name... they get their very own tomcat
(web-app
location)... and they can use ROOT.... ie they own that domain.
Own domain name users will need a restart... so you try isolate that
system... own domain users pay more..... but they got their own tomcat.

Keeping track of users..... spreadsheets.... ie webappx belongs to userx
Domainer's.... a good question now will be.... can the tomcat manager be

used to install web-app remotely.... only in one <host docbase> section
and
not the others..... if so its great.... once setup... own domainers...
do
their own thing.

Other thing is if a user... an own domainer... ever wanted load
balancing.... its easy to provide....

If you want to get it to what you suggesting.... just tell the users
that
their webapp name must be their username.... thing is, I think you will
find
thats the last thing most people want in thier uri.....
Accounts.SP.net/JohnnyKewl/InvoiceSystem/     ..... yuk!

Something like that..... nice interesting project..... have fun....