tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hassan Schroeder" <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: war package ignores context fragment?
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 20:29:32 GMT
On 5/13/07, Tomi N/A <hefest@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to set up an application called solr to run on tomcat. I have a
> problem with a property I need to set so that the application will run
> correctly: I don't understand the instructions for the tomcat setup.

> $ cat /tomcat55/conf/Catalina/localhost/solr.xml
>
> <Context docBase="f:/solr.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
>    <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
> value="f:/my/solr/home" override="true" />
> </Context>
>
> Note that, for Tomcat 5.5 and later, the war file must bt stored
> outside of the webapps directory for this to work. Otherwise, this
> Context element is ignored.
>
> This last bit is the one I don't understand: I'm running 5.5.x and
> don't know how to work with a war file outside the webapps directory.

? "work with"? Just put it wherever you want, and specify the location
as shown in the example.

> Furthermore, the application will be deployed in a hosted environment
> so I will have very limited possibilities with regard to editing
> server.xml and other system wide settings.

In that case, the question is *can* you create that solr.xml context
file? If not, you'll have to open the WAR file and put an appropriate
context.xml file there. Otherwise, the example seems pretty clear...

FWIW,