tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Peremsky <mperem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JAR file not finding external properties files
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 19:55:00 GMT
The system.properties file is already located in the WEB-INF classes directory. Sorry I am
new to this stuff, not sure what other information you need.

  %CATALINA_HOME%/common/lib/mvp.jar    <- contains ExtProperties.class
  %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/fs/WEB-INF/classes/system.properties
  %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps/fs/WEB-INF/classes  <- contains all other classes for "fs" app

David Smith <dns4@cornell.edu> wrote:
  Your could put the properties file in WEB-INF/classes which is
equivalent to storing it in the jar file. Otherwise we'll need to know
more about where you are storing your properties file to help.

-- David

Mike Peremsky wrote:
> I created some utility classes that read proeprties files (e.g. com.mvp.utils.ExtProperties).
In the method where I try to load the properties file I have

> package com.mvp.utils;
>
> class ExtProperties {
>
> private static PropertyResourceBundle loadProperties(String propsFile) {
>
> PropertyResourceBundle prb =
> (PropertyResourceBundle) ResourceBundle.getBundle(propsFile);
>
> return prb;
> }
> }
>

> This file is then compiled and placed in a jar file, which is copied to my Tomcat\common\lib
directory. Whenver I try to call the ExtProperties class it fails to find the properties file.
If I include the properties file in the jar file it finds it with no problem. I assume that
this is a class loader problem (which which I am not very familiar).

> What do I need to do to get the class in the jar file to find the properties files external
to it? Do I need to specify the full path to the file?

--
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor