tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Tonhofer <d.tonho...@m-plify.com>
Subject Re: Anybody using GNU Java
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 15:50:12 GMT
Omar Eljumaily wrote:
> in a production Tomcat environment?  I tried this once before a few
> years ago, and ran into some nasty bugs.  Sun's Java, for me, is
> getting a bit weird, especially on Linux.  I never quite know which
> version to download, each one having at least two or three different
> numbers associated with it.  "That's Java Super Enterprise 6, with SDK
> version 5, etc"
>
> The latest problem I'm running into is that I'm trying to update to
> Fedora 6 which uses libstdc++.so.6, and Sun's java insists on version
> 5.  I suppose I could install 5, but I feel that creepy dependency
> hell feeling coming on when I think about it.
>
> So anyway, is anybody successfully using GNU Java?  If not, does
> anybody have any tips for installing the proper version of Sun's Java
> on FC6?
>
> Thanks

Personally, I haven't had time to look into this in detail but
apparently "JPackage" is the way to go if you want to master the
dependencies.
It's basically a set or RPMs that installs links to executables and
jars/so.libs in the expected (Linux) places, it's not more difficult
than that.
The nice thing is that you get RPMs for various Java packages, so
dependency problems are solved.

If I remember well, the Sun JDK is not well-behaved i.r.t. placing files
in a "Linux Standard Way", as opposed to the IBM JDK for
example. Still, there is a "JPackage" package to solve even that.

Check it out: http://www.jpackage.org/

Best,

-- David