tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Foo Shyn <foos...@optegra.com.my>
Subject Re: Using servlet and mysql
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 08:36:32 GMT
Hi,

In short, to get a MySQL server up, try the following:
1) Install an instance of MySQL
2) Install the client software (you can get them from the MySQL web site
too, like MySQL Administrator etc or you can try the MySQL Front for
older version of MySQL)
3) Create a database using the client software.
4) Put the MySQL drivers in the common\lib folder(if you want it to be
global) or in your WEB-INF\lib folder (if you want it to be local)
5) Run the Tomcat, try your code

Not sure whether this is good enough, perhaps someone with better
explanation skill can explain it better than me.
Remember google is always your best friend. :)

HTH,
FooShyn

Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:
> I'm very new to this. This is the first time I'm using mysql and servlet. I might be
doing a lot of mistakes. I realized that I should not use Microsoft Works Database. How can
I actually create the database name, table and its field using mysql? In which directory should
I put the database? Please explain. Hoping for a reply. I really hope this simple program
can run today. Thank you.

>   TEH
>
> Foo Shyn <fooshyn@optegra.com.my> wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> This is getting more confusing, you mentioned earlier that you're using
> MySQL but now it is a Microsoft Works Database. Hmmm perhaps i'm missing
> something?
>
> Anyway, if the database you're using is something like an Access
> database, you'll just need to use the correct driver and point the URL
> to your database file. Can't help you here coz i never tried that before
> (Access is like from another world to me). Perhaps you should try other
> mailing list, and not Tomcat's.
>
> HTH
> FooShyn
>
> Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:
>
>> Yes, the login name and password are correct. I created the database name, teh, with
field username and password, using Microsoft Works Database and saved it in directory catalina_home\webapps\ROOT\.
I'm not sure whether it is the correct directory to put the database. However, in the program
there was a statement .....(insert into login_table values(?,?)"); I do not understand the
usage of login_table. Does it mean that I should create login_table in database teh? Really
need to get this working today. Please help. Thank you.

>> TEH
>>

>> Foo Shyn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your login name and password correct? It shows 'root' and the
>> password is 'root' in the code you posted there.
>>
>> - I put the database name, teh in directory catalina_home\webapps\ROOT\
>> hmm i can't really get what you meant here.
>>
>> Thanx.
>> FooShyn
>>
>> Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I already put mysql database driver (jar file) in directory catalina_home\common\lib
and changed 8080 to 3306 but I got the error "java.sql.SQLException: Unable to connect to
any hosts due to exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect". What
should be the matter? I put the database name, teh in directory catalina_home\webapps\ROOT\.
Is this correct? In which directory should I actually put the database name? Please help.
I'm running out of time! Thank you so much.

>>> Yours Sincerely,
>>> TEH
>>>
>>> Foo Shyn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You'll need to get the MySQL database driver and put them in the
>>> {catalina_home}\common\lib folder. The driver can be easily obtained
>>> through MySQL site.
>>> BTW, as far as i know, the default port for MySQL database is 3306, so
>>> you might wanna change that. 8080 is for Tomcat, not the database.
>>>
>>> Seems like not many new users of connection pooling went through
>>> Apache's documents. Please don't waste their effort, take a look at it
>>> before you start to attempt anything.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> FooShyn

but I got the error java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. I'm very new
to using mysql database and servlet. Can you please explain to me how to create the database
name and its fields? Should I install any driver? How can it be done? Please help. Thank you.

what to initialize for the String connectionURL marked as "jdbc:mysql://localhost:yyyy/xxx"
in the program below. I got this program from the internet which I would like to run in my
computer. Can anyone please explain to me what the parameters "yyyy" and "xxx" should be?

PM