tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rob Tanner <>
Subject Can't seem to get logging to work in Tomcat 5.5.9
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 22:35:42 GMT

I was originally planning to move to Tomcat 6 but backed off for a
number of reasons.  Now I have Tomcat 5.5.9 installed an working, except
for logging (and one other problem that I might be able to resolve on my
own if only I could get logging to work).

I have never configured Tomcat to log using log4j (Tomcat 4.x's built-in
was sufficient).  Following the instructions on the website
(,  I creating a file and placed it in common/classes -- the only change
I made on the example on the webpage was to replace a variable with an
absolute path:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, R
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

I then put log4j-1.2.7.jar and commons-logging-1.1.jar jarfiles in
common/lib and started Tomcat. The instructions don't say anything about
doing anything else and I've not done very much with log4j other than
use it to enable syslog logging in various applications, but it's not

Any ideas?

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager
Linfield College, McMinnville OR