tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wyraz <li...@wyraz.de>
Subject If xerces is in WEB-INF/lib this is used for deployment/web.xml parsing on tomcat6 (bug or feature?)
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 12:36:33 GMT
Hi,

today i played around with tomcat 6 (latest).
I have an old webapp wich used Xerces 2.0.0. The Webapp deploys fine and
runs without Problems until i try to reload the Context.
In this case i get a NullpointerException fro xerces when it tries to
load web.xml via JNDI.

I played around with it and found that:
- when xerces is not present in WEB-INF/web.xml, the jdk-builtin xml
parser is used (com.sun...)
- when xerces is present in WEB-INF/web.xml, it is used to parse web.xml
during deployment and during reload
- in the 2nd case reload fails because the old xerces cannot read from JNDI

I'm not sure how to solve this. I could change the Xerces version of my
application but this is the first of many apps i want to migrate to
tomcat 6. Maybe some of this apps will not work with newer xerces.

I think tomcat should _not_ use a parser which is within the webapp's
lib directory for tomcat-specific tasks.

What do you think?