tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Dimick Eastman <er...@doxpop.com>
Subject Getting Expression language working in Tomcat 5.5
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 17:59:41 GMT
Hello all,

I'm sending a note mainly for inclusion in the archive.  I'm sure almost
everyone here knows this.  I think it would have saved me some time.

We recently upgraded from Tomcat 4.1 to Tomcat 5.5.  I was excited to
try creating SimpleTagSupport handlers that easily worked with JSTL
style expression language (el), but it didn't work.  Searching Google I
got many pages like this one:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javaserverpages/JSP20/

that imply that it should just work right out of the box.  I almost gave
up (for now) when I came across this very helpful note from Tim Funk
(Tim, can you hear the ovation from Richmond, IN, USA?):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200306.mbox/%3c3EDD2E6D.9040104@joedog.org%3e

This is what the top of my web.xml file looks like now.  I can't promise
that it is "correct" but it works.
<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.3.dtd" >

     xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee web-app_2_4.xsd"
     version="2.4">

Searched Google for (in many combinations):
tomcat 5 tag library expression language tld custom handler el rtexprvalue
tomcat 5 configuration expression language debian el

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Eastman

erice@doxpop.com   Phone 765.965.7363
Doxpop - Public Records at your fingertips
http://www.doxpop.com