tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: null cert chain
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 11:29:43 GMT
Subscriber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I handle this exception, when the user clicks "Cancel" upon SSL
> Client authentication when prompted for a certificate.

Basically you can't without some custom Tomcat code. Since the
handshake occurs before any HTTP traffic is sent, Tomcat doesn't know
which web app the user was eventually going to try and connect to.
Therefore, this has to be handled entirely within Tomcat rather than
by any particular web app.

This is going to be the same for every container - each will require a
custom solution. If you want your app to be portable, I wouldn't
bother going down this road.

Mark