tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Question: How to Disable Caching?
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 18:05:16 GMT
Robinson, Eric wrote:
> The OS is RHEL4. Tomcat is 5.0.28.
>
> The 'particular function' is a little hard to explain. It's just an area
> of the program where you configure certain parameters that control
> workflow in your medical practice, such as how long a default patient
> visit lasts. This area has a different look and feel than the rest of
> the program, and has all the earmarks of having been written by a
> programmer that no longer works for the vendor. :-)
>
> The bottom line is that when I access this section, sometimes I get
> errors with scripts on the page. I had a theory that the problem was
> with cached data, so I changed the way the load balancer distributes
> requests. Now the LB always sends subsequent requests from a particular
> source IP to whichever tomcat server was selected for the first request,
> and the errors have gone away. I believe this indicates that my theory
> was correct, so now I'm looking for a way to disable caching of anything
> in the tomcat/work directory.
>
> Isn't there a simple, global way to tell tomcat not to cache?

Cache what? AFAIK, Tomcat doesn't cache anything, bar generated JSP
servlet classes (and they're checked periodically unless you've modified
"conf/web.xml").

You've not stated what's being cached, or why you think something is
being cached, which is why I asked for more info about the function
that's causing it.

If the function in question is deliberately writing to a temporary file
in the work folder, then tweaking Tomcat won't make much differene, it's
the application that will need altering if you want to resolve this.

You could post some error data from the logs, which would also help
diagnose the problem, and help us to provide a more precise solution.

pid