tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Wall <d.w...@computer.org>
Subject Re: Encrypting passwords in the connection pool setup
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 16:55:00 GMT
Martin,

All encryption systems need a way to boot themselves.  This either means
you store the password somewhere so the program can self-boot itself, or
you need user intervention, such as typing in the password (or inserting
a dongle or other security hardware device).

Once the system has booted itself, then it can store things safely using
encryption.  A hash value is simply a transformation of one string into
another, so if the program that retrieves the password retrieves the
real password or its hash, there is no added security, the hash has
simply become the password (after all, you cannot go from the hash to
the password value, at least not easily with a good hash, as that's it's
main reason for being).

Hashed passwords are very useful if you have others who will be entering
the password in, since you can then store only hashes, and when you need
to verify the password entered, you create a hash of the entered
password and then compare it to the stored hashed value.

This isn't the case for applications that need to bootstrap themselves.
You really either need to require manual intervention to start it (and
enter the password), or it will be stored in the clear somewhere.

David