tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rashmi Rubdi" <rashmi....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing ETag in 304 Header
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 18:44:49 GMT
I might be wrong but I have a few doubts....

On 5/19/07, Len Popp <len.popp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you've got that wrong.
>
> 1. Spec says:
> "The response MUST include the following header fields: ... - ETag
> and/or Content-Location, if the header would have been sent in a 200
> response to the same request"

By *same request* , I think you are saying that the request was sent
from the same browser instance.

So on first load of the static resource
http://localhost:8080/tomcat.gif , the Http Status is 200

On second load (when browser is refreshed), but the static resource is
now cached and so  the Http Status is 304.

But HTTP is stateless, how will the server know about the *same request* ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that when
the browser is refreshed , a new request is sent hence, it is not the
*same request* .

> 2. ETag header *was* sent in a 200 response to the same request. (See
> the header logs I posted earlier.)
>
> 3. Therefore, the 304 response must include the ETag.
> (I'm pretty sure that's right, it seems straightforward to me.)
> --
> Len

-Regards
Rashmi