tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rashmi Rubdi" <rashmi....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JAR file not finding external properties files
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 22:17:45 GMT
Hi David,

On 5/1/07, David Smith <dns4@cornell.edu> wrote:
> Mike, I see your issue is solved.  For the sake of the archives I feel
> the need to respond to the suggestion of modifying the classpath.
>
> Please DO NOT modify the classpath.  Best practice is to work with the
> existing classloader structure and put files in the proper places.

Thats a good point, but some people have specific need to keep
properties file in a
separate location, in this case they have no other choice.

But Mike's case is different, he didn't have this restriction, so I
agree with you where it can be avoided, it is best to keep the
properties file in the classes folder

- CLASSPATH issues are one of those that take almost a day or two to track down.

> Modifying the class path environment variable is just asking for huge
> problems.  You do it and then forget or the next developer/sysadmin in
> line doesn't know it and all sorts of quirky problems show up.
>
> --David

-Regards
Rashmi