tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>
Subject RE: Log files always locked
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 19:06:01 GMT
I always drag and drop them from their given directory (in my case it's a shared directory,
then the logs are in a subdir) to my desktop and read them that way, as to not interfere with
perpetual logging to the file.

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 1:34 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Log files always locked

Just something that bugs me.....
On windows if you try open a tomcat log file... which are typically associated with something
like notepad, you get "In Use By Another Program".
Why does Tomcat lock the file handle indefinitely?
It maybe good programming practice but windows utilities generally dont give one the option
of "will open as read only"... its always a mission just to read a log file.