tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Fargusson.Alan" <Alan.Fargus...@ftb.ca.gov>
Subject RE: Tomcat randomly cannot connect to SMTP host
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 15:55:20 GMT
I see you got a number of good suggestions.  If you still have this problem you could try doing
a netstat command to see if your server is holding the connections to the SMTP server.  I
have seen this type of thing cause some weird problems.

If your server is holding several connections to the SMTP server it would mean that the application
isn't closing the socket when it is done.

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Holguin [mailto:raymond.holguin@ucr.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 12:38 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat randomly cannot connect to SMTP host

Hello,
    I have tomcat 5.0.28 running on my Linux machine, and all my
applications running under this tomcat experience the same problem at
the same time which is why I believe it to be a tomcat issue.
When my applications attempt to send out an email I get this error message

(Mail server connection failed; nested exception is
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: xxxxxx,
port: 25; nested exception is: java.net.ConnectException: Connection
refused)

The SMTP server is fine, because I can use it from other applications
not on that tomcat server.  I can also telnet into the SMTP server just
fine from that same machine, so i don't believe its a server/port
blocking issue on the OS or hardware level.  The only way I am able to
resolve the problem is to restart Tomcat.  Once Tomcat is restarted,
then all operation with emailing works fine again.  I cannot seem to
force the issue to happen so i don't know how reproduce it on demand,
even though I know that would help in solving the issue.  This problem
just seems to come up randomly and wont go away until I restart tomcat.
If anyone can please help me solve this issue that would be greatly
appreciated.  I have important applications running on this machine and
its a great inconvenience to those using the applications when this
problem comes up.
Thank you
-Ray

Raymond Holguin
Programmer Analyst
College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Tel: (951) 827-6212
Email: rholguin@ucr.edu