tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Fargusson.Alan" <Alan.Fargus...@ftb.ca.gov>
Subject RE: Log files always locked
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 19:53:39 GMT
I think this is a Windows issue.  I doubt that Tomcat actually locks the log files.

The reason I think that this is a Windows issue is that I run into the same thing with other
programs.  I don't run Tomcat on Windows, so I can't check Tomcat log files specifically.

I think that this behavior depends on the type of filesystem used.  In my case it seems that
if a file is on a FAT filesystem I have this problem, but if it is on a NTFS filesystem I
don't.  I have not been able to prove this though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 11:34 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Log files always locked

Just something that bugs me.....
On windows if you try open a tomcat log file... which are typically associated with something
like notepad, you get "In Use By Another Program".
Why does Tomcat lock the file handle indefinitely?
It maybe good programming practice but windows utilities generally dont give one the option
of "will open as read only"... its always a mission just to read a log file.