tomcat-users mailing list archives

From De Haan Software Engineering <i...@dehaansoftware.nl>
Subject Re: Using servlet and mysql
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 08:41:06 GMT

Access databases can only be accessed by ODBC (default present at
2000 / XP). MySQL has nothing to do with it.

1)  First create your Access database (.mdb, I don't know what a
Works database is?). It may be placed anywhere on your Tomcat Server.

2) Then configure it for usage by ODBC. Click Start -> Run:
%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe
In the tab System-DSN make a new entry (I hope I translate well from
Dutch here).
2a)  Give the entry a free-choosable unique name, for instance 'MyDatabase'
2b) Specify the path to the database you created in step 1)

3) Attach to the driver using:
// Load the driver, at some Virtual Machines
// newInstance() appears to be necessary
Class.forName( "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" ).newInstance();

4) Connect to the database using:
Connection newConnection = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:odbc:MyDatabase" );

Note: Microsoft - as usual - implemented some differences in SQL-syntax!

Sije de Haan,
Netherlands