tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: How to monitor Tomcat Server.
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 13:23:35 GMT
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:03:12PM +0530, Praveen Kumar wrote:
> It seems this is also one type of  tool. Here  again we have some problem
> ie  we  should  monitor this tool too right  ?
>
> So  instead installing new  tool to  monitor  tomcat server , is there any
> feature   that apache group provides  to  inform tomcat server status ?

There is an insoluble dilemma here.

If you use a separate process to monitor your server, then that
process must also be monitored.  Eventually you have two processes
watching each other, whatever else they may be doing.

If you do *not* use a separate process, then your server can only
report its state transitions if it is still able to do so.  A crashed
process cannot tell you that it has crashed; the most you can get is
that it will begin failing to tell you that it has *not* crashed.

To get complete coverage can become quite elaborate.  To protect
against hardware failure, you need two machines monitoring each other.
To protect against network or utility power failure, you need two (or
more) machines monitoring each other from different sites.

At some point as this scales up, it may be more sensible to just hire
somebody to watch screens and check things periodically.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.