tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Tomcat 5.5 destroys $TOMCAT_HOME/Catalina/[host]/[app].xml on reload
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 18:04:29 GMT
I'm trying to maintain a testing environment for several developers
who either upload .war files directly or ship them to me for
installation.  These applications need a context parameter defined as
a path on the server.  Rather than have the developers hassle with
swapping paths between development and shipment, or me hassle with
opening up .war files and tinkering with 'context.xml', I'd like to
keep an $APP_NAME.xml in the host-specific configuration directory and
not touch it.

Unfortunately, every time the '.war' is replaced, Tomcat destroys the
file which defines the parameter.  So at the very least I have to keep
a copy elsewhere and copy it back in.

1.  Is this behavior a bug or a feature?  Why should it do this?

2.  Is there a way to stop it?

Oh, the parameter's value is different for each app. but the name is
the same (and can't be changed) so I can't just pile them into
'server.xml' even if that weren't bad form.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.