tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <>
Subject Re: How to read file content from servlet?
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 09:08:02 GMT
Teh... you kinda got the right idea... but I think the question is wrong
thats why u getting no responses.

You cant get a servlet to call an applet....
but I have a feeling what you really asking is how to get a response from
the servlet.
This stuff you should find in a google so I'm going to let you do that
first... if you get stuck, I'll show you how to do it...
Search for how to POST to a servlet... google!
Can combine the search with HTTPClient or URLConnection.... you'll find lots
of articles

So wot you do is post a parameter that says....
Then remember that just like a form... a servlet wants to respond... so in
the servlet you do something like this....

               if the parameter is MyGameFile....... then......

                File x = new File(PathToGameFile);

//So your applet knows when its got the whole file.... maybe you can send
this as a long instead and just read first first long as file length.

                OutputStream out = response.getOutputStream(); //Create a
                FileInputStream in = null;
                try {
                    in = new FileInputStream(fileName);
                    int c; //Change this to a buffer if more speed
required... unlikely.
                    while ((c = != -1) { out.write(c);}
                } finally {
                    if (in != null) { in.close();   }