tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Tomcat randomly cannot connect to SMTP host
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 18:47:19 GMT
Raymond did you resolve it?
If not, did you use tomcats JNDI... or did you use JavaMail directly.
Did you write the code?.... or can you get at the relevant code?
If so, can you show me the code....

You see if for example the mail routine is in a thread, and thats started
when the servlet starts... well that will explain why tomcat needs a
restart.
If its crap code... and doesnt allow for a transient network problem... well
then it just takes one glitch and you dead.
Dont bout you but I find I occasionally have to give the old email program
another click... no big deal, but to this program it may be fatal.

The DNS is on my mind because I had a weirdo error that took some detective
work... my mail smtp (provider) has a reverse lookup on their server... I
think its for spam, so it checks that the FROM domain name is actual from
the mail program sending it... I found if the DNS goes down... it rudely
rejects otherwise perfectly valid emails.

The other thing is that System properties are set for Javamail.... but I
think if those are been set in 20 different servlet threads at the same
time... you could also get a weirdo... dont think it can handle multiple
threads....
Tomcat really doesnt do (if the programmer used it) much more than give you
a session object, it basicly says...here is JavaMail..do as u will.. so the
programmer still had to write code somewhere.

Anyway... I smell a threading issue... like its starting to send a mail...
and another request is tail ending it... something like the one mail is
trying to go, and the next request is busy setting up the mail again....
bang!

If you desperate for help... please show us the code, thanks