tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: WAR deployment incomplete (sometimes)
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 17:09:48 GMT
The SAVE Michael PROJECT.... chapter 51

Ok... another guess...
One of the things that has always bothered me is that Tomcat doesnt really 
have a root
it has a special folder called ROOT... and if you say change the name to say 
START and leave the context path = "".... it ignores that... it wont 
treat... "start"  like.... "root".

ROOT is clearly a very special name....

So I got another wild theory... Michael.... change the name of your war 
file...
to say.....  rearEndPain...
Dump it in tomcat and see if it unpacks.... if so... the problem is in the 
name...

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael Heinrichs" <michael.heinrichs@klocwork.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 3:17 PM
Subject: RE: WAR deployment incomplete (sometimes)


The WAR file is being generated by the Ant WAR task (Ant 1.6.5).

I'm don't want to rule anything out, but if the WAR file is bad, I would
expect the deployment to fail every time, or when it does fail, always
fail at the same point in the WAR expansion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 4:46 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: WAR deployment incomplete (sometimes)

Hi Michael... shame still struggling with this.
One thing you not telling us is wot is packaging the WAR.
A WAR is basically a zip... but I do know that if you zip using external

programs like AlZip or WinZip... the Java zip api can struggle with
that.

Also if you using netbeans right click on the project and have a look if
its
using compression... take that off and then its plain... bigger... but
plain.. anything should open that file.
Super Compression is a recent addition to Java.... maybe the jre u using
is
just when it was introduced.... ie the dev environment is higher version

than the runtime env.

I dont think 23mb should be any problem for a zip...

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael Heinrichs" <michael.heinrichs@klocwork.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: WAR deployment incomplete (sometimes)


Thanks for your comments,

I have a collected a second data point, which shows that the WAR does
not stop unpacking at the same point every time.  The first recorded
incident was on Solaris, and this second incident was on Windows.
Again, there was no exception or error message in the Tomcat logs.

The WAR file contains 1461 entries (~23MB).  Solaris stopped after 797
entries.  Windows stopped after 1326 entries.  I doubt future incidents
on the same platforms will stop at the same points.

I've searched the Sun Java bug database, and found lots of interesting
JRE JAR/WAR/zip bugs, triggered by such things as JARs larger than 2GB
(large file support), and JARs with more than 64,000 entries, but none
of the bugs apply to my situation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Heinrichs [mailto:michael.heinrichs@klocwork.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:43 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: WAR deployment incomplete (sometimes)

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with WAR deployment.  I am performing a static
deployment: copying a ROOT.war under the webapps directory, and then
starting Tomcat (no other web applications).  On most occasions, the
deployment is successful.  However, occasionally the deployment does not
succeed, and the WAR is only partially unpacked.  Subsequently stopping
Tomcat, deleting the expanded webapp directory, and starting Tomcat
again will (normally) result in a successful deployment.  When this
happens, I see no exceptions in the logs.  I've looked at the Tomcat
source responsible for WAR expansion, and found no clues.

I have begun collecting data to establish whether the unpacking always
stops at the same point in the WAR, but only have one data point so far.
I have verified that the WAR unpacking stops at a sequential point (all
files before that point are unpacked, and all files after that point
have not been unpacked).  In the single instance I have recorded,
unpacking stops between two similar, and unremarkable HTML files.

This problem has occurred on Solaris, Linux (Redhat), and Windows, so
this problem is not platform-specific.

I've searched the mailing list archives, and I can find no reference to
others having the same problem.  Can anyone offer an explanation or
solution?

Thanks,

Mike



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message