tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Rabung" <adamrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Lots of JspRuntimeContext threads
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:06:19 GMT
Hello,
Tomcat 5.5.9/Windows XP/Java 1.5_11

I have a Tomcat running about 16 contexts.  A few of them are fairly busy.
We recently had a "Out of memory: unable to create new native thread"
Exception.  At the time, we had roughly 500 threads in the VM.  Of that, 147
were named "JSPRuntimeContext[\<context name>]".  Seven of the contexts had
more than 15 of these threads, one had 25. The rest all have 3 or less.
I've googled and looked through the source, and it seems to me I should
expect at most one of these threads per context.

I'm struggling to find anyone else talking about this.  Am I correct in
assuming I should see only 1 per context?  Has this been addressed in
post-5.5.9 releases?  I didn't see anything pertinent in the release notes.
I just can't imagine how I could make this happen w/ app code.  The apps
running are plain vanilla JSP apps - no jspc tricks or using the Tomcat API.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam