tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daryl Odnert <>
Subject Servlet Access To Its Package Version
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:09:34 GMT
Let me start by explaining that my goal is to have a Java servlet log its
implementation version number when it is loaded and initialized by
Tomcat.  I am having trouble with my current approach.  I would appreciate
approaches to achieving the high level goal.
Current approach: My .war file includes a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
file that looks like this:
  Manifest-Version: 1.0
  Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
  Created-By: 1.5.0_06-b05 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
  Name: com/postpath/services/
  Specification-Title: PostPath Services
  Specification-Version: 3.0.0
  Specification-Vendor: PostPath, Inc.
  Package-Vendor: PostPath, Inc.
My servlet class is defined in package and
the .class files are located in WEB-INF/classes/com/postpath/services/.
However, when my servlet initialization function is called, I get a null
String reference returned from this expression:
  String versionId = getClass().getPackage().getImplementationVersion();
Does anyone know why this might be the case or what I can do to fix this?
I am using Tomcat v5.5.7 on JVM 1.5.0_06-b05 from Sun Microsystems
on a Linux OS.  I have already done some Web searching and have
searched the archives of the tomcat-user list, but have been unsuccessful
in locating a working solution.
Daryl Odnert
PostPath, Inc.
Mountain View, California