tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rémy Maucherat" <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: comet events and connections
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:17:40 GMT
On 4/25/07, Daniel Doubleday <daniel.doubleday@gmx.net> wrote:
> Here is the stack trace:
>
> Exception in thread "Thread-17" java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.connector.CometEventImpl.close(CometEventImpl.java:84)
>         at
> com.mrtattle.tcniotest.CometServlet$Transport.close(CometServlet.java:42)
>         at com.mrtattle.tcniotest.CometServlet$1.run(CometServlet.java:117)

This means (quite predictably) the request is done and has been
recycled, and you should probably add syncs here and there.

> I think that the comet api represents a socket connection. The event life
> cycle is bound to the connection life cycle. You get an END (or ERROR etc)
> when the connection gets closed. But when you are writing something that
> still looks like a servlet you would expect that the event life cycle is
> bound to the request / response model. As soon as the response is closed you
> would expect an END event.

It's fine to have expectations, but that's not going to happen. It is
fine to compare with a Servlet, but the only thing that cannot be
compared (and somehow is the thing you apparently want to compare) is
evidently the lifecycle, which is completely different.

Rémy