tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rémy Maucherat" <>
Subject Re: Memory Leak with Comet
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:16:11 GMT
On 4/25/07, Reich, Matthias <> wrote:
> So far, I have the feeling that I am the only one who has seen these memory leaks with
asynchronous Comet responses.
> I tried with a number of variations, e.g.
> - let the browser wait for 500 millis before sending the next poll after receiving a
> - keep the events queued in the serverfor at least 500 millis before sending the response
> - modify synchronization and the places where I invoke event.close()
> - tried with connector attribute maxKeepAliveRequests="-1" and maxKeepAliveRequests="2"
> but the effect is always the same.
> Thus, I doubt that it is really 'wrong' usage of the interfaces, and others should have
seen similar effects.
> Has anyone out there run an application with browsers as clients and with asynchronous
> Or am I the only one so far working on such a scenario?

Processors are only recycled when the IO layer gets an event (read,
disconnect, timeout), and if:
- the event is a non timeout error
- the event is closed by the servlet
- the event has been closed asynchronously

If the client is sitting there without sending any data (if it
disconnects, it becomes either a read event or an error/disconnect
event, so it's the same), then you have to wait for the timeout (which
can be set per event with the NIO connector - this is not doable at
this time for the APR connector).

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: