tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hoa Doan <geizgeiz...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5: Jre or Jdk?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:09:13 GMT
What is the "-server" option and how to you turn it on?  I thought when you install Tomcat
it will ask where the JRE is not the JDK so why do you need to install JDK.

Rodrigo Ruiz <rruiz@gridsystems.com> wrote: Hi,

AFAIK, Tomcat 5.5 uses the Eclipse compiler, so it does not require a
JDK to compile JSPs anymore.

However, a JRE comes with only a "client" virtual machine. If you want
to run your Tomcat with a "server" virtual machine, you will need a full
JDK. The "-server" option usually provides better performance and
stability on long running servers, so I would recommend it on a
production environment.

Cheers,
Rodrigo

GRID SYSTEMS, S.A.             Rodrigo Ruiz
Parc Bit - Edificio 17         Research Coordinator
07121 Palma de Mallorca
Baleares - Spain
http://www.gridsystems.com/