tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Diego Rodríguez Martín <>
Subject Re: Max number of contexts
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:25:48 GMT
Hi again,

    I have been evaluating the architecture described below (one kernel
with lightweight webapps registered by ContextListener), but I'm still
worried about memory. You said that memory will be the main limitation,
but what I would like to know is how many memory overhead produces a
context compared to the webapp plain classes it loads. We're planning to
have hundreds of contexts and I would like to know if we should consider
another architecture for our problem. In this new project we will use
Tomcat 5.5, but we are using now Tomcat 4.1 for other project and we are
having OutOf Memory errors every week, more frecuently as the number of
contexts incresases (between10-15 contexts aprox), so you can understand
my worries

    Thanks again