tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Knecht <andre...@atlassian.com>
Subject OutOfMemory problem on Tomcat 5.5.20 and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:43:40 GMT
Hi all,

I'm one of the developers working on JIRA
<http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira>.  We've currently got a
problem, where Tomcat seems to be running out of heap space, when
running JIRAs functional tests.  Here are all the relevant system
properties:
*JDK: *java version "1.5.0_09"
          Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.5.0_09-b01)
          Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_09-b01, mixed mode)
*Tomcat:* v.5.5.20
*JVM args:* -Xmx256m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

The functional tests simply run a number of HTTP requests to the
web-server, simulating form submissions, button clicks, URL requests,
etc (and obviously assert that the correct text is shown in the response).

About a week ago, this test started failing with OutOfMemory errors.  I
realize that increasing the maximum memory will probably get rid of this
problem, but we've never had problems running the func tests with 256MB
in the past, and we want to make sure we haven't introduced a memory
leak. We examined the heapdump produced, and it looks like a large
amount of the memory is retained by the
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspRuntimeContext (138 MB to be exact).

I've attached a screenshot of the JspRuntimeContext in YourKit. It seems
that the 'jsps' SynchronizedMap is taking up all the space.  The problem
does NOT occur on Java 1.6.

Any ideas, if it is normal behavior for the JspRuntimeContext to take up
this much memory?  I'm happy to make more information available if
needed.  The heap dump is about 65MB in size when zipped.

Cheers,
   Andreas