tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sebastiaan van Erk <sebs...@sebster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.10 Comet question
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:02:49 GMT
Hi,

>> Another reason that I need to be able to throw the exception in the
>> BEGIN event is because for some requests there is no input, only output,
>> so I might never actually get a READ event (GET requests for long pieces
>> of data for example). However I do want to write output to the client as
>> it comes in (which is why I need Comet) and it's not a file, it is a
>> dynamically generated stream, making the standard servlet (serivce
>> method) approach infeasable from a scalability point of view.
>
> You don't have to wait to be inside the processing of a read event to
> write data.

But I need to verify if the request is valid, and since I don't know if
there will be a read event the only place I can do it is in the begin
event. Throwing the ServletException there was my way of dealing with
the invalid request; that was why I needed to throw it in the begin
event and not somewhere else.

Regards,
Sebastiaan