tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sebastiaan van Erk <sebs...@sebster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.10 Comet question
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:46:04 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

To get these adjustments, do I need to download tomcat from a subversion
(or CVS) repository?

I was also just discovered that in the 6.0.10 version that an exception
in the END event causes the END event to called again; this means that
an uncaught RuntimeException could potentially cause Tomcat to go into a
loop of an infinite number of END events.

The reason I need to be able to throw an exception in the BEGIN event is
because each request belongs to a certain client. I already know which
client it belongs to from the http headers. If the client has timed out
or does not exist on the server, the request is invalid. Thus I don't
have to wait for a READ event to throw the error.

Another reason that I need to be able to throw the exception in the
BEGIN event is because for some requests there is no input, only output,
so I might never actually get a READ event (GET requests for long pieces
of data for example). However I do want to write output to the client as
it comes in (which is why I need Comet) and it's not a file, it is a
dynamically generated stream, making the standard servlet (serivce
method) approach infeasable from a scalability point of view.

Does this make sense or am I going about it the wrong way?

Regards,
Sebastiaan